URGENT message from Kathy Dopp of US Counts Votes.org
Send a DRE Protest Letter to your Election Officials Now:
As we speak, states and counties all over America are quickly spending their Help America Vote Act Funds to buy new voting equipment prior to 2006.
HAVA will fund only DRE or Op-Scan voting systems. States and Counties will therefore be buying DRE or Op-Scan voting systems.
An Op-Scan system has a paper ballot that is hand- recountable by our own election officials. A DRE voting machine does not.
If we sit by now and allow DREs to be purchased, then:
1. Our elections WILL be corrupted by undetectable and uncorrectable electronic failures, errors, and manipulations.
2. Extra millions of dollars will be thrown away on systems that cost more to maintain, secure, and upgrade. (Instead HAVA funds can be used to develop procedures to secure electronic voter registration rolls, to develop information systems to report detailed election information for auditing election results, and to develop a database of election rules, procedures, and laws to help voters, poll workers, and election officials.)
3. Voters will have longer lines at the polls.
4. Elections will depend on unachievable electronic reliability, consistent power supply, and climate controlled polling locations.
5. Voters will not be able to electronically verify that their ballots will be counted correctly as even the disabled could with some opscan paper ballot voting systems.
Patriots, we must stop states and counties from purchasing DRE voting machines NOW.
Create a letter to your Election official that you can simply print, fill in your name and address, and mail:
Please pass this DRE protest letter on and link to it from your web site, so that every county and state election office in America is flooded with letters requesting Hand-recountable Paper Ballots.
I'll Call That Interesting
1 hour ago